About AmeriCorps VISTA:
AmeriCorps VISTA is a national service program designed to alleviate poverty. President John F. Kennedy originated the idea for VISTA, which was founded as Volunteers in Service to America in 1965 and incorporated into the AmeriCorps network of programs in 1993. Today, over 7,000 AmeriCorps members in the VISTA program serve annually to alleviate poverty by helping local organizations expand capacity to make change.
As an AmeriCorps member in the VISTA program, members will support an organization to make sustainable change in areas that affect poverty, including education, public health, climate, access to benefits, and more. Through activities such as fundraising, grant writing, research, and volunteer recruitment, members will gain professional experience and leadership skills. This opportunity prepares members for a life of service in the public, private, or nonprofit sector.
About My Role:
As the Women’s Economic Empowerment Outreach Coordinator at the Women’s Center of Greater Lansing through AmeriCorps VISTA, I will play a crucial role in advancing the organization’s mission and raising funding via grants. For the duration of my service year, from December 4, 2023, to December 5, 2024, my focus will be enhancing economic opportunities and securing grant funding for women in Greater Lansing.
- Curriculum Enhancement and Program Evaluation:
- Apply a trauma-informed approach to evaluate existing job-training programs.
- Identify areas for improvement and research innovative training programs tailored for survivors of domestic abuse.
- Organize and implement updates, ensuring digital accessibility and usability.
- Community Outreach and Collaboration:
- Develop and execute outreach strategies to raise awareness about our programs.
- Foster collaborations with local partners to amplify the impact of our initiatives.
- Act as a liaison between the Women’s Center and the community, promoting engagement and support.
- Grant Research and Application:
- Explore sustainable funding sources by compiling a comprehensive list of potential grants.
- Conduct thorough research and analysis to prepare compelling grant applications.
- Collaborate on the writing and data collection for grant submissions, with a focus on successful program implementation.
- Program Evaluation and Reporting:
- If a grant is awarded, design and implement a program evaluation process.
- Utilize collected data to prepare detailed and insightful grant reports, demonstrating the impact of our programs.
- Fundraising Activities:
- Plan, organize, and execute fundraising activities to secure financial support for our programs.
- Engage the community in supporting our mission through creative and effective fundraising initiatives.
In this role, I am committed to creating positive change by empowering women through enhanced job training programs, community outreach, and strategic funding initiatives. I look forward to contributing to the Women’s Center of Greater Lansing’s impactful mission during my service year.
I came across this opportunity on Indeed during my job search and was immediately interested in applying. Ever since my time at MSU, I have been looking for a suitable AmeriCorps service position. Although I had seen other opportunities in the past, the timing was never right for me to complete a service year. While I would have preferred a position that is more related to my career field of Marketing and Design, the job description caught my attention because of the transferable skills I could learn, such as grant writing and community outreach, that could help me in transitioning to a new role in my future employment endeavors. This drove me to apply. After being offered the position and officially starting my service year, I am excited to contribute my skills to help advance the mission of the Women’s Center of Greater Lansing, an organization that has provided me with invaluable services in my past times of need.